★ღTips, tricks and random advice to a Foreign Wife living in the Arabian Gulfღ★

★ღY'all Are Sweetღ★

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

★ whatchu cookin' girl?? ★

any man loves to eat a nice home-cooked meal by his woman -- and that goes double for an Arab.  if y'all can't cook, be ready for his Mamma to look for another wife to make the machboos :-S  

they say the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach and i can swear by that.  in the beginning of my married life, i was such a n00b like frigggg OMG i didn't even know how to make anything besides Mac & Cheese, perogies and tacos.  as for any meal made OUTSIDE of the West, i had noooo idea what to do.  i was really embarrassed by my M-I-L when she said Western girls can't cook (or clean) so i made it my mission to learn how to make Indian and Arabic dishes.   i bought this awesome book covering all kinds of dishes across the Middle East (including Turkey and Iran) and started experimenting.  it took me some time to make the perfect rice for kabsa, bake a shoulder of lamb while keeping it juicy and tender (Pixie can verify that) and getting the right amount of spices for samboosas.  now when i do cook for my Husband or others, i don't feel as freaked out or nervous that something went wrong or it's gonna taste weird ;-)
i've introduced to my Husband my own food recipes i grew up as a girl in the West and needless to say, he refuses to eat anything other than what i prepare for him...  his reaction to any home-cooked foods NOT by me were kinda embarrassing to whoever was hosting LoL :-P

my single girlfriends always ask me to show them how to make something but some people were not meant to be in the kitchen.  whoever said cooking was only the woman's job in the house has mental problems because there are men who love to cook for their wives & families, too *and* are good at it!!  

5 comments:

AlabasterMuslim said...

Since my baby is young ive been blessed with a MIL who helps out a lottt and i havent cooked in what seems like forever. I'm moving soon and have to try and relearn how to cook lol. I never mastered arab dishes, but i'm like how you used to be, i dont feel comfortable cooking for anyone! Anyway point is my husband LOVES to cook and is soo good at it!! Mashallah so you are right there are men like that out there :)

ღααℓiαღ said...

Hey AlabasterMuslim, long time no see :-) That's great u have such a compassionate MIL who's willing to cook for u, mashaaAllah <3 I am guessing your husband learned from his mother how to cook?

♥♥betoul♥♥ said...

haha i love how my husband gets so happy when iv cooked the dinner, i live with my husbands family and his sister in law also lives here so we take turns cooking, it really does help u inn the kitchen lol
by the way so happy to see ur back :)im one of the "silent" readers, iv actualy started reading ur blog before i converted 2 islam, and now iv been muslim 2 yrs alhamdulilah, so sorry iv waited until now 2 post lol
hope u r well and may Allah bless u and ur family ameen
xxx

ღααℓiαღ said...

Salaam ♥♥betoul♥♥, I wanna say mabrook on your reversion and may Allah ta3ala bless u with peace & happiness, ameen!! Thnx so much for letting me know your brief history and jazakiAllah5ayr for making me smile :-) al7amdulillah ur sister-in-law is helping u out and ur man loves it when u cook!! mashaaAllah <3

hayyachAllah

♥♥betoul♥♥ said...

ameen and jazakAllah khair <3